Skip to Content

Parent and Family FAQ

Parents and family members: Below you will find helpful information to help you guide your student through the first year at Texas State. If your student has any questions or concerns regarding classes, majors, or campus resources, please encourage them to contact our office.

Frequently Asked Questions by Parents and Family Members

Expand or Collapse all.

Before New Student Orientation (NSO)

How can my student prepare for New Student Orientation?

You and your student can check this Next Steps Checklist from Undergraduate Admissions for items to accomplish.

We recommend that students come prepared for their advising appointments with a list of dual credit courses, Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) exams taken.

What will occur during New Student Orientation?

Your student will meet with a PACE academic advisor to discuss classes for the upcoming semester. After meeting with a PACE advisor, your student will be able to register for classes once all holds have been resolved.

Students can change their major during their meeting with a PACE academic advisor.

What does my student need to do after New Student Orientation?

Students will need to complete any remaining steps from the Next Steps Checklist, as well as any items recommended during their PACE Advising appointment.

Students are encouraged to follow up with their advisor or our office about any questions or concerns they have post-orientation.

During Fall and Spring Semesters

How do I know if my student is a PACE student?

PACE students are those who have completed 15 hours or less after high school graduation and enter Texas State in the fall semester after high school graduation. More information here.

Those who are not PACE students are seen by the college of their major. You and your student can find information about other advising centers here.

What services does PACE provide?

The PACE Center provides academic advising, career counseling, peer mentoring, and academic coaching.

When can my student meet with an academic advisor?

Your student can meet with an advisor anytime we are accepting appointments, which is a majority of the semester. Our appointments tend to fill quickly during peak registration times, so we advise that students contact us regarding scheduling an appointment as soon as possible.

How can my student make an advising appointment?

Students can make appointments by stopping by the Undergraduate Academic Center front desk (UAC 122), by calling us at 512.245.PACE (7223), or by using our online appointment system.

Can I attend an appointment with my student or talk to an advisor on behalf of my student?

You can attend your student's academic advising appointment as long as there is a FERPA form on file allowing you access to the student's academic records. For more information on FERPA and the form, please see University Registrar's FERPA page.

My student is unsure of a major. What can I do to help?

Encourage your student to make an appointment with a PACE career counselor for assistance in exploring majors.

I am concerned about my student. What resources are available on campus?

We have information on our website about campus resourcesWe can also assist students with questions they have about campus resources.

After the First Year

Can my student take summer classes elsewhere? If so, how do we determine if the classes will transfer?

Students can take summer classes at other institutions. During spring advising appointments we work with students to discuss options for summer coursework. To determine if classes will transfer, you and your student can utilize the Transfer Course Equivalency Guide.

Where will my student receive further advising?

Students will receive all future academic advising from the college that houses their major. Contact information for other advising centers can be found on the Academic Advising website.