Skip to Content

Student FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions by Students

Expand or Collapse all.


How do I know if I am a PACE student?

PACE students are those who have completed 15 hours or less after high school graduation and enter Texas State in the fall semester after high school graduation. More information here.

Those who are not PACE students are seen by the college of their major. You can find information about other advising centers here.

How should I prepare for my first advising appointment during New Student Orientation?

Gather proof of prior college credit (AP/IB/CLEP/Dual Credit/Community College Credit). Proof can include unofficial transcripts and/or AP/IB/CLEP scores. Please bring these documents with you to your advising appointment during New Student Orientation.

NOTE: You must send official transcripts to the Undergraduate Admissions Office from all other institutions of higher education attended. 

For additional items related to preparing for New Student Orientation please see the Next Steps Checklist.

What services does PACE Advising provide?

  • Recommending courses for the next semester
  • Projecting GPA calculations
  • Discussing/setting academic goals  
  • Exploring possible majors
  • Referring students to other PACE and campus resources if/when needed  

Do I have to see an advisor?

No, but we highly encourage you to come in at any time for assistance. However, if you are an Engineering major, you are required to meet with an academic advisor because you receive an advising hold every semester. Meeting with an advisor is the only way to have your advising hold removed if you are an Engineering major.

Do I have an assigned academic advisor?

No, you may meet with any PACE advisor. However, you may request to meet with a particular advisor and our office will make every effort to accommodate your request. 

When should I meet with an advisor?

If you are a new Texas State student you will meet with an advisor during New Student Orientation (NSO). During the fall and spring semesters you can meet with an advisor anytime we are accepting appointments, which covers most of the semester. Our appointments tend to fill quickly during peak registration times, so we advise that students contact us to schedule an appointment as soon as possible.

What can I expect from my advisor and what will they expect of me?

PACE Advisors expect students to fulfill the following tasks:

  • Learn about Texas State programs, policies and procedures.
  • Schedule regular appointments with your advisors each semester.
  • Come prepared to appointments with all materials needed and/or questions.
  • Clarify personal goals.
  • Accept responsibility for decisions.

In exchange, PACE Advisors agree to the following responsibilities:

  • Effectively communicate the University’s curriculum requirements, policies, and procedures.
  • Guide and encourage students as they define and cultivate goals.
  • Support students with planning academic paths consistent with their abilities and interests.
  • Monitor student’s progress towards meeting their goals.

How long will I be advised by PACE?

If you come in to Texas State as a PACE student, you will see PACE advisors through your entire first year in college. After grades post for your second semester at Texas State, you will be expected to see advisors within your major's college.

How do I make an appointment with an advisor?

You can schedule an appointment by visiting the Undergraduate Academic Center front desk (UAC 122), by calling 512.245.PACE (7223), or by using our online appointment system.

What should I do after my advising appointment?

  1. Review the advising form from the appointment.
  2. Follow up with the PACE Advising Center with any questions or concerns.
  3. File your advising form away for future reference.

What should I do if I cannot make it to my scheduled appointment?

To cancel, you must notify the advising center either by phone or in person at least 30 minutes prior to the appointment. Otherwise, you will be considered a "no-show." After three (3) no-shows, you forfeit the right to schedule appointments for the semester. To regain appointment scheduling privileges, you must complete and earn 100% on the PACE Advising Multiple No-Show Learning Module

Can I see an advisor without making an appointment?

We do have an on-call advisor available most days from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; however they are meant to answer quick questions or concerns. They are also able to provide the Undergraduate Change of Curriculum Request form if you wish to change your major.

How will a PACE Advisor contact me?

  1. Your preferred phone number
  2. Your Texas State email address

For the latest PACE news, announcements, and reminders, be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Instagram.

Is my personal and academic information confidential?

Yes. Your education records are kept secure and confidential according to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). For more information, see the University Registrar’s website.


What should I do if I'm undecided on a major?

We recommend scheduling an appointment with a PACE career counselor to explore different majors and career options. You can meet with a PACE academic advisor if you have questions about different majors' requirements and availability of a certain major.

How do I declare/change my major?

You can schedule an advising appointment to discuss your new major and fill out an Undergraduate Change of Curriculum Request. You can also drop by our front desk at UAC 122 and ask to see the on-call advisor to fill out the Undergraduate Change of Curriculum Request form. If you drop in and see the on-call advisor, we recommend you make an advising appointment to discuss any questions you may have about your new major.

Registration and Course Resources

How do I check for holds on my account?

Log into Self Service and select the "Student" tab or click the "Student" link under the Main Menu section. On the "Student" tab, click the "Registration" link and then click "Registration Status" under the Registration Menu. You will see your time tickets along with any warnings about holds that may keep you from registering.

What if classes I need are closed?

Courses may have a waitlist available for you to register; however, not all courses will have a waitlist. See the Waitlisting handout for guidance on determining if a course has a waitlist and instructions on getting on a waitlist for a course. For courses that do not have a waitlist, you can wait to see if a seat becomes available; contact the department for additional assistance and meet with a PACE Academic Advisor to discuss alternate courses to register for.

What is Degree Audit?

A Degree Audit lists all of the requirements for your degree, including (but not limited to):

  • Minimum number of hours required
  • Writing intensive hours required
  • Core requirements
  • Major requirements
  • Minor requirements (if you have a minor)

The Degree Audit will note whether a requirement has been satisfied, or if it is in progress. Students are encouraged to use their Degree Audit report as a guide when planning their progress toward completion of their degree. A Degree Audit is not an academic transcript and it is not official notification of completion of degree or certificate requirements.

Click here for a video tutorial on using Degree Audit and its different functions.

What is Ask An Advisor?

Ask an Advisor is an email service designed for quick general questions and requests for information. Quick general questions and requests include:

  1. Clarifying an academic policy and/or procedure
  2. Locating information about campus resources
  3. Relaying general comments or concerns

Ask an Advisor is not a substitute for an academic advising appointment. Advising / probation holds cannot be removed through this service. An advising appointment cannot be scheduled through this service.

How do I find out what courses taken at other institutions will transfer in as?

You can use the Transfer Course Equivalency Guide to find out what courses from other institutions transfer and also find equivalents of Texas State courses at other institutions. Be sure to submit an official transcript from any institution that you take courses at in order to receive credit at Texas State. For assistance in using the Transfer Course Equivalency Guide, feel free to contact our office or ask about it during an advising appointment.

Where can I find student feedback about courses and instructors?

You can view instructors' vita, course syllabi, and student perceptions on the HB 2504 website. You can browse by instructor or by course.